Steps to organize a new club
Who can organize a club?
You and your friends.
Why organize a club?
To help the democratic party
1. Call a meeting of 6 or 10 interested people.
a. Designate yourselves as orgainizing committee.
b. Select a temporary chairman and secretary-treasurer.
c. Discuss objectives; decide on the area to be included; neighborhood, precinct, city, county, district.
d. Draw up a proposed constitution and by-laws.
e. Pledge that each of you will find at least one more charter member.
f. Set a date, time and place for the charter meeting
2. Hold Charter Meeting
a. Temporary Chairman presides and reads proposed Constitution article by article.
b. Adopt Constitution.
c. Read, discuss and adopt by-laws.
d. Appoint nominating committees to present slate of officers to be voted on at next meeting along with nominations from the floor.
e. Set date of first meeting.
3. Hold Election Meeting (see recommended procedures below)
a. Follow procedures in Constitution and by-laws for appointing committees and setting up programs.
b. Pay dues
Agenda for an Election Meeting
The Temporary Chairman
1. Calls meeting to order and asks for temporary secretary-treasurer to report on Charter Meeting
2. Calls for report of Nominating Committee. The Chairman of the Nominating Committee reads report.
3. Appoints tellers. Has ballot materials passed out.
4. Asks for nominations from the floor for president. Calls for vote on president.
5. Proceeds with election of other officers one at a time, calling for nominations from floor for each office.
6. Turns meeting over to new President, new Secretary also takes over.
The New President
1. Thanks temporary chairman and temporary secretary-treasurer and organizing committee.
2. Calls for new business.
3. Sets date of next meeting.
4. Adjourns meeting.
5. Download, complete and submit the new club submission form